Almighty Exteriors INC -

March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010

powered by

My Blog

Why are T-Lock Shingles discontinued?

I have getting a lot of phone calls lately about T-Lock shingles.  During my research I found this artical written by Pamela Simmons that has some great information in it.

Once upon a time (around 1930) there was a new shingle, the T-lock. Some say they were the origianl Thunderstorm shingle able to withstand the high winds that occur during storms, others say it was because they are shaped like a T and they interlock. The truth is they were a state of the art shingle once upon a time, however, times change.

When they came out, t-locks were a heavier shingle with much more asphalt content than the t-lock shingles we saw in the last years of their existance. As asphalt prices increased, fillers were added and the shingles became thinner, more brittle and less capable of living up to their name. It is my understanding that there are parts of the country that never used the shingle. They were widely used from New Mexico, Colorado and into Wyoming and other areas where high winds were a problem.

When architectural shingles came into being the use of t-locks lessened greatly to the point that it was no longer cost effective to manufacture them. Tamko was the last manufacturer in our area to offer them and they quit making them in 2004-2005.

Now the question, Why does this matter?
If you have a t-lock shingle roof on your home, I highly recommend that you have a qualified roofer take a look at it. If there is any damage at all. You should be able to qualify for a new roof. Right now most insurance companies are happy to replace t-locks, they can't be repaired because new material isn't available. In the next few years I foresee the insurance companies depreciating these shingles to lessen their payouts, they will know that a roof cannot possibly be newer than when the shingles were discontinued.

With the recent high winds and hail storms in our area, almost every roof with T-locks will qualify for a brand new roof with an upgrade to an architectural style shingle. A standard Architectural shingle such as Certainteed's Landmark carries a 30 year warranty and can be easily upgraded to a 110mph wind warranty. This is much better that T-locks 25 year and 70mph warranty
If you absolutely need to repair a T-lock roof, you may look to E-bay or Craigslist, there are a few roofers and suppliers that have shingles they have held onto and you will see them for sell occasionally on sites like these. However, I urge you to try to get your insurance company to replace your roof before going to extreme measures to repair it.

For a FREE estimate or inspection on
Roofing, Siding, Painting, Fascia, Soffits and all Repairs

Please call (719) 543-6501

Call Almighty we’ll make sure your home’s all-righty

almightyexteriors@yahoo.com

24 Comments to Why are T-Lock Shingles discontinued?:

Comments RSS
Pamela Simmons on Sunday, February 06, 2011 12:35 PM
Thanks Maria, check my blog for other great information on roofing, ask questions and I will do my best to answer them

Anonymous on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:22 AM
Under what circumstances will an insurance company replace your roof? The damage would have to be caused by peril covered by the policy. You just saying call your insurance company may get someone cancelled or non-renewed for condition of insured property, especially if that condition exists due to deterioration or aging of the roof.

Maria on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:06 PM
The circumstances would be with recent wind or hail damage. A qualfied Roofing Contractor would be able to tell the difference between regular wear and tear and/or wind or hail damage. That is why you should always call out a licensed Roofing Contractor befoe you call out your insurance company. Thanks for feed back

Floodman on Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:39 PM
Last I heard, Atlas was still selling t-locks and art locks; they aren't in wide manufacture or distribution but they can still be bought

cati on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:21 AM
I was curious about this topic, good information, thanks

izolasyon on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:56 PM
addressed the issue of the right to a subject, then follow your blog too benefited from information provided edicem, thanks

izolasyon on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:57 PM

russell on Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:01 PM
Ya didn't tell me a word about why t-locks were discontinued! Ya told me when architectural shingles came out t-locks faded but nowhere did you say why. What makes architectural shingles any better? They look like the crappy old three tabs everybody in windy Wyoming hates.

Josiah on Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:52 PM
T-loks where probably faded out due to the fact that dimensional shingles have a higher wind resistance and that was T-locks big selling point back in the day.The older T-loks where smaller than the newer T-loks and therefore had less area for the wind to grab and held better in the wind,I always said that if they put a small tar strip on the bottom of the t"s they'd still be makin them today!I loved putting on T-lok roofs and wish they still sold them.But as far as a dimensional shingle being the same as a three tab, you obviously havn't looked at them up close or you'd see the difference and thats all I have to say about that! :)

Brian on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 2:44 PM
I too wish the T lock shingle was still available. Home owners in the Memphis area are always calling because of wind blowing shingles off their homes. This would certainly help out the home owner. It might slow things down a little for the Memphis roofing companies however.

susanna haynie on Friday, May 25, 2012 9:05 AM
Thank you for this great explanation about T-locks. I am a real estate agent and when a buyer recently insisted on how great T-locks were and that you can buy replacements by the package...I started doubting myself...I know better NOW!!! Thanks PS - if you ad a picture (ideally one of yours b/c of copyright issues) I could actually pin your blog onto my pinterest page.THX

Jane on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:19 PM
We purchased a home at a foreclosure auction. It has t-shingles and we didn't think anything of it because the roof looks to be in great condition. HOwever, our insurance company (Allstate) has now informed us, one month later, that it will not insure the home because of the t-lock shingles. You said some insurance companies are happy to replace these roofs -- even if there has not been any damage? Is that only if you originally put the roof on? At any rate, now I have to shop for a different insurance company to cover this house until I flip it (purchased as fix n flip). I'm not putting a new roof on as there is NOTHING wrong with the performance of the current roof. I can only imagine they just want to avoid the expense of putting an entire new roof on if part of its damaged and they can't match it because product is not available.

Maria on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:08 PM
Jane, For an insurance company to replace a t-lock shingled roof there would have to be hail or wind damage and the house would have to be insured at the time of the hail or wind damage. Unfortunatley most insurance companys won't insure a t-lock roof or a shake roof. Good luck to you!

Cate on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:10 AM
As an insurance adjuster for a large company. Your exactly right. We do not write policies on T-Lock roofs, Wood shake roofs or even some tile roofs. The amount of damage just one small wind storm could be a huge expense for the company. I know it's a pain in the rear. But there are some other insurance companies willing to write the policy. Good luck!

asphalt driveway repairs on Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:20 AM
I always had the confusion about T-lock and art-lock ,I came across this blog after reading few articles .Information provided in your blog is excellent . Thanks for sharing it.

continuous hinges on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:37 AM
I am pleased to read your post. I was searching for the related topic you discussed in there. Good job. All the best.

Credit for small business on Friday, March 29, 2013 2:45 AM
Amazing post. I read your post carefully and i think it is exceptional presentation. Thanks a lot for your better content sharing. Carry on.

birdal corset on Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:31 PM
I like this article, written in very good, praise! Thanks!

Liquid Rubber on Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:24 AM
WOW! Awesome information and thanks for sharing this post.

Kids Nike Free 7.0 on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:16 AM
Good post ! I just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been conducting a little research on this.

Nike Air Max TN Shoes on Friday, August 09, 2013 6:38 AM
Good post,and like it very much,i will share it.

Liquid EPDM on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:33 AM

Liquid Roof RV Repair on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:18 PM
Thanks for sharing great site lots of information.

Elastomeric Coatings on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:55 AM